Publishing frequently and consistently is the key to a successful blogging career, but sometimes it can be hard to come up with topics that will captivate your audience. This phenomenon is called writer’s block and it can be bad for business! Does that mean you’ll have to call it quits? Absolutely not.
Here are some proven ideas you can use to attract and captivate your audience!
Inspiring Ideas to Engage Your Readers
Words have power, but only when they’re framed right. With so much material on the internet, creating your mark to engage your readers can be challenging. That doesn’t mean you have to rewrite your drafts every time you spot a problem, no, you just have to get creative with how you write!
Learn how here.
Start With a Great Hook
The introduction to your blog determines whether or not a reader will stay on your website. Make that moment of decision count by enticing your readers with a strong attention-grabbing introduction to create an emotional connection.
To offer readers a memorable sensory experience, you can use:
Whatever you decide to go with, make sure it’s catchy, no-nonsense, and interesting. It will keep your readers engaged and reduce bounce rates.
Blogging may look easy, but it can be difficult to master.
When you’re talking about a particular subject in your blogs, the content you write can make you seem robotic, kind of like a one-dimensional person.
Take Wikipedia, for instance. Everybody knows it’s an absolute powerhouse of information, but because it presents factual information with no passion, most of us skip it in favor of other listings on Google SERP.
To avoid becoming the last resort for your readers, it would be a good idea to adopt a storytelling approach. You can draw inspiration from your own life, even something you read, to delight and engage your readers. If you don’t want to put your feelings into words, you can also use images and videos to serve your cause.
Adopting the storytelling approach can help you stimulate your readers, giving them what they want and what they need at the same time – in one well-structured copy.
Use Links to Establish Authority
Whether you’re a food blogger or someone who posts helpful gardening tips, the purpose of your blog is to educate your readers.
That is why you should consider adding links to your blog.
Adding links to your website shows your readers that you’ve done your research and that your content is built on knowledge and credibility. Links also offer an in-depth experience to your readers, add value to your copy, and help your readers understand concepts easily to ensure they’ll keep coming back for more.
There are two ways you can create good content to establish authority:
- Internal linking: It calls for linking to posts from your own website to make your site easily navigable and more helpful to your readers
- External linking: It calls for linking to websites, studies, and other sources where the reader can get more information on the subject
External links can direct your readers to another website, but that’s a chance you’ll have to take. This is because using them shows that you care about your readers.
Your audience can get the information you provide from another website, which is why you need to give them a reason to stick with you.
Be vulnerable, be conventional, be true to your opinions and feelings – bring a personal element to your writing to show your readers that you’re one of them and that you have the answer to the problems and difficulties they face.
Here are some no-fail tricks you can try:
- Keep the language conversational, as if you’re talking with a friend
- Adopt a light tone by injecting your writing with humor, metaphors, and sarcasm
- Use an active voice to make the content more engaging for the reader
- Be opinionated. It will encourage others(here, your readers) to share theirs
- Use a dynamic tone
Adopting a reader-first approach will help you build a community rather than a following, which will drive traffic to your blog – without you aiming for it!
Be Creative With Your Content
Creating content with useful information is the ultimate goal, but if you’re looking to hook and reel your reader in, you’ll have to do more than just string a piece of words together. You’ll have to give your content structure and format.
This, you can do by using:
- Short words, sentences, and paragraphs, making your content easy to read and digest
- Numbers and statistics – to help your readers make more educated decisions
- Lists – to provide a visual break
- Pictures and infographics – to illustrate talking points and important concepts in a fun, engaging manner
- Highlights – to encourage your audience to focus on the information they were looking for in the first place
Once you’ve created your draft, proofread it… Why? Because writers of all levels – even professionals – make mistakes.
If your work is littered with errors, it can be a source of annoyance and distraction to your reader. A distracted reader will not stay long on your website, which can affect your engagement rate.
10 Blog Post Ideas You Can Add to Your Posting Calendar
Now that you know how to engage your reader, it’s time to retain their interest by posting high-quality content, consistently. Here are some ideas you can try.
1. Break Myths and Misconceptions with Fact-checking Articles
As you can tell, surfing the web is easy, getting accurate information is not.
Do your part to reverse that.
Create blogs that debunk common myths/misconceptions in the industry with a ‘myth versus fact’ post. Just make sure to keep the language plain and simple to effectively communicate your ideas to your readers.
2. Compare Products and Services from Two Different Brands
Become everyone’s go-to blogger by comparing products and services.
While you can dabble in any category, it would be wise to stick to your niche.
For example, if you’re in the self-care industry, you’ll be able to create a stellar, in-depth comparison post of what’s hot in the self-care industry, and do so with passion. You’ll also have a better understanding of the terms that might grasp the reader’s attention, which can help them decide which one they should pick.
3. Cover Controversies
Talking about controversies and scandals that have left some scars on your niche is one of the most interesting blog post ideas you can try out to grasp your audience’s attention. You can voice your opinion or act as an unbiased mediator to gain traffic. Whatever you decide to go with, make sure to do it with tact, or you’ll lose visitors faster than you can gain them.
4. Explain SEO Trends
Understanding how SEO works can be challenging, so why not simplify the process for your readers by writing about trending keywords and other related SEO trends? Create checklists, explain fundamental concepts, give away tips – the possibilities are many!
5. Make Comprehensive How-to Guides
How-to guides, one of the most effective blog post ideas, pave the way for healthy lead generation.
They allow you to reach new audiences with high-quality content. You can also further your reach by adding videos with video transcripts to your guides. It will make your content more accessible, which can improve your Google ranking and help you go viral.
6. Try Your Hand at Listicles
The average human has an attention span of just 8.25 seconds.
So, if you’re looking to grasp the attention of your readers (and retain it!), you’ll have to go for something short and sweet, like a listicle. Listicles are quick to read and digest, and are just as easy to write.
Pro tip: Write off-numbered listicles, they perform better than even-numbered articles as they demonstrate that no padding was used to balance it out.
Best SEO Tips to Write a Blog
Here are some tips you can use to optimize your content and rank high on Google.
- Add external links to build visibility and add credibility to your blog
- Limit unnecessary code, tags, and plugins to improve page speed
- Optimize the meta description to improve your click-through rates
- Optimize your blog for mobile by tweaking CTA placement and increasing the font size. You may also have to make a couple of changes to the layout
- Publish evergreen content to drive traffic to your site for months, even years
- Understand dwell time to customize your content for better reach and readability
- Use strategically-proven keywords to improve reach. Also factor in a longtail keyword (or two!) for higher conversion value
When it comes to blog post ideas, the world is your oyster.
You can write on just about any topic that interests you to keep your content engaging and interesting. It would also be a good idea to practice consistency and familiarize yourself with the intricacies of SEO to rank higher on Google SERP.
Don’t worry, though. Kala can help you optimize your presence digitally. Book a call or visit our website to know how.